Injured On Employer Property After Work? 4 Steps To Take To Protect Your Right To Workers Compensation

When you leave work, you expect to get to your car safely. However, accidents do happen. If you've been injured in an accident while still on worksite property, you may have the right to claim workers compensation. In most cases, workers compensation protects employees when accidents occur on employer property, or property that is maintained and controlled by the employer, such as parking lots and sidewalks; even if you've just clocked out from work. If you were struck by a car while crossing the parking lot, and that car fled the scene, you may think that you have no right to compensation. However, that's not the case. Here are four steps you need to take right away:

Contact an Attorney

If you've been struck by a car, while crossing the parking lot after work, you need to hire an attorney right away. The driver of the vehicle may have fled the scene, but that doesn't preclude you from receiving compensation. Because the accident took place on work property, workers compensation laws still provide you with protection. However, it's crucial that you hire a workers compensation law attorney to help you through the process. 

Notify Your Employer

If you were struck by a car while in the parking lot of your place of employment, notify your employer as soon as possible. You'll need to file an accident report in a timely manner. Once you've notified your employer and filed an accident report, seek medical attention; even if you don't feel you have any significant injuries. Being struck by a car while you're a pedestrian can leave you with injuries that might not present symptoms for a few days. Seeking medical attention for your work-related accident will ensure that your injuries are documented. 

File a Police Report

If the walk to your car after work resulted in you being struck by a car, you need to file a police report. Not only were you struck by a car, you were also the victim of a hit-and-run accident. Filing a police report will allow law enforcement officials the opportunity to conduct an investigation, and possibly identify the person who hit you. 

Obtain Copies of Security Footage

Finally, if you were involved in a pedestrian versus car accident while walking through the parking lot after work, obtain copies of the security footage. The information contained on the footage will help prove that you were struck by a car, and will help your attorney prove your workers compensation claim.